South End's Bucket List for Kids
For kids (and kids at heart), you’ll find a new adventure around every corner in South End.
Kid-friendly adventures await in South End. Mixed in among the
breweries, restaurants, and art galleries (although many of those are kid-friendly, too), South End is full of fun activities for the whole family. So grab the kiddos and start working your way through South End’s list of must-do experiences for families. Every visit will be a new adventure full of magic and memory-making fun.
1. Walk, bike, skate, or ride your way down the
Rail Trail. Keep your eyes peeled for all of the colorful public art pieces along the way!
2. Watch as the trains zoom by from the bright yellow swings at
Edna’s Porch (this is a great opportunity to talk about street/train track crossing safety, too).
3. Get a mouthwatering burger and crispy fries at
Bang Bang Burgers or Shake Shack.
4. Take a photo at the
Wish You Were Here mural and send it to grandma or another family member you’re missing.
5. Play table tennis with up to six people at the free outdoor hexpong table in the courtyard at the
Urban Design Center near Bland Street Station.
6. Visit the
Fairy Ring Light at Atherton Mill and play tag around it. Go right at dusk for a magical experience.
7. Have a taste of Detroit-style pizza at
Emmy Squared Pizza.
8. Participate in the family-friendly
First Friday Gallery Crawl to discover local art, artists, and galleries in South End.
9. Create your own art crawl with
South End Interactive, where you can scan a QR code to view a video of the artist, generate site-specific face filters, and explore a 3-D model of the piece.
10. Go on one of
ArtWalks CLT's South End art tours. Choose from South End Bland Street, South End East/West, South End Gold District or South End Tremont—or just do them all!
11. Play on the see-saw at
Fowler Porch. Bring chalk to create your own sidewalk art on the concrete there, too.
12. Stock up on local goods at
South End Farmer's Market at Atherton Mill on a Saturday morning. Pop into Living Kitchen for a juice or Not Just Coffee for a hot cocoa on the colder days.
13. Treat yourself to a paleta from
Morelia Gourmet Paletas or ice cream from Golden Cow Creamery or Two Scoops.
14. Pick out the coolest game-day gear at
Girl Tribe, 704 Shop, or Glory Days Apparel.
15. During the summer months, run through the splash pad outside of
1100 South apartments near Carson Blvd Station.
16. Take a picture riding the
Magic Carpet Murals on the Rail Trail.
17. Taste test different barbecue sauces on the Jr. Pig, a juicy kid-sized pulled pork sandwich, at
Mac’s Speed Shop.
18. Write a message on the
Rail Trail Chalkboard.
19. Snap a photo in front of the
Confetti Hearts Mural. Sweets from Pepperbox Doughnuts or Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams are a great motivator!
20. Get a tasty smoothie at
Clean Juice or Green Brothers Juice Company.
21. Drop off a book or browse for a new one at one of South End's
Little Free Libraries.
22. Pack a picnic and experience the natural play area at
Wilmore Centennial Park at South End.
23. Have your pick of nachos, tacos, or a quesadilla from the
Superica kids menu. Enjoy your Tex-Mex fare on the patio underneath the Design Center Water Tower.
24. Explore one-of-a-kind sports trading cards and get your own starter pack of collectible cards at
One Stop Sports.
25. Climb to the top of the indoor rock climbing walls at
Inner Peaks Climbing (day passes available).
26. Have each family member make their own personal candle at
Paddywax Candle Bar.
27. Get your first pair of skates (and safety gear) from the skating experts at
Derby City Skates.
28. Show your parents you're ready for your first dog by proving you can take care of a plant. Find an easy-to-care for plant at
Charlotte Collective or Mindful Market. Then once you’ve gotten your furry friend, head to Canine Cafe and PetWants Charlotte to stock up on food, snacks, and toys.
29. Watch Moana and Coco at the
Movies in the Park series this October, or check out the lineup of outdoor movies at Triple C Brewing and Craft Tasting Room.
30. Make chalk art, play games, and more at
Camden Commons, presented by Lowe's.