Ways to Explore South End
A place where everyone is welcome.
Residents and visitors alike can find their place in South End. Whether you are an art enthusiast or a craft beer lover, explore our South End itineraries to help enhance your experience in this beautiful space.
Experience Art in South End
South End is the only neighborhood that doubles as a canvas, with a vast array of art in all forms: fine art galleries offering everything from the realist to the experimental, colorful public murals, larger-than-life installations on the Rail Trail and dozens of studio spaces where artists and artisans dream and create. You can explore local art through:
- South End Interactive is an interactive art tour where viewers can scan a QR code with their cell-phone camera and watch a video of the artist, generate site-specific face filters, and explore a 3-D model of the piece. Currently, you can interact with 10 South End murals and learn the stories hidden behind the artwork, told by the artists themselves.
- Art Walks CLT curates self-guided art tours in different neighborhoods around Charlotte. Learn more about neighborhood art by taking an Art Walk in Upper South End, Lower South End, Gold District, and Tremont area.
- First Friday Gallery Crawl celebrates local art every first Friday of the month, as galleries stay open late with special receptions, live painting, music, and more.
South End's Culinary Scene
Explore the diverse bites and brews of South End, whether your pleasure is a casual burger, a fine dining occasion, a triple scoop of ice cream, or a cold craft beer.
- Variety is the spice of South End. Discover South End's global flavors using the International Food Guide.
- Craft beer is in South End’s DNA, and the brewery culture is thriving. Each brewery’s unique story is an inspiring example of the adventurous and entrepreneurial spirit of the neighborhood. Plan your own brewery adventure using the Neighborhood Brewery Guide.
- There's nothing like kicking back with a refreshing drink in hand, and there are plenty of places in South End to quench your thirst without booze. Check out the neighborhood mocktail roundup and get sipping.
- Check out South End's heated patios on those chilly nights.
A Place for Families
There are plenty of things to do in the neighborhood that won't break the bank, from art tours to ping pong. Check out some of our favorite family-friendly and mostly free activities in South End.
Shop 'Till You Drop
South End is full of some of Charlotte’s best shopping, from local boutiques to home design showrooms to national retailers, the neighborhood has it all.
- Discover neighborhood retail at Atherton Mill, the Design Center, and the Shops at the Winnifred (the first micro-retail shops in Charlotte).
- Support woman-owned and Black-owned businesses in the neighborhood.
- See the guide to retail therapy in South End.
- Small businesses make South End shine, and while shopping small is the best way to support the businesses you love, there are plenty of other ways to support local without breaking the bank. Learn how.
- The entrepreneurial spirit in South End is strong! Learn about pop-up retail in South End, including monthly events like Front Porch Sundays, Nebel's Alley Night Market, and Bop Around the Block!
Love is in the air. Whether you’re looking for a romantic adventure with your partner, a night out with the ladies, a play date with your four-legged friend, or a solo soirée, South End’s got you covered.
- From your partner to your pooch to your best friends, here's how to celebrate with the loved ones in your life on an adventure in South End.
- Balling on a budget? Check out 10 free and cheap date ideas in South End.
Recreation and Fitness
You look fit, South End!
- The Rail Trail is more than just a paved path; it’s a South End destination that offers a new experience every time you visit. Not sure where to start? See the guide to interacting with the Rail Trail.
- Get running with one of the neighborhood's run clubs.
- Head to HopFly Brewing Co. for a free workout every Thursday!
- Explore Wilmore Centennial Park, South End's largest green space.
Dog Days of South End
It's a dog's life here, and it's pretty grand. As the old saying goes “every dog has its day,” but in South End, every day is the dog’s day. Leash up your pup and discover why South End is known for catering to canines.
Not sure where to start?
Let us choose your adventure for you with the Randomizer.
Learn how to get to South End by light rail, car, scooter, or even unicycle.