How to Support Local Without Spending Money
Small businesses make South End shine, and while shopping small is the best way to support the businesses you love, there are plenty of other ways to support local without breaking the bank. From leaving positive reviews to sharing posts on social media, you have the power to promote businesses besides the power of the purse. Here are some of the ways that you can help:
- Leave a positive review on Google, Yelp, Open Table, etc.
- Word of mouth marketing matters! Tell your friends and family about the businesses you love.
- Sign up for the newsletter of your favorite businesses (you get the best deals by staying in the know!).
- Attend area events to help promote the neighborhood - there are lots of free events in South End.
- Follow your favorite businesses on social media.
- Comment on the social posts of your favorite businesses.
- Tag your friends and family in the business's social posts.
- DM your friends and family social posts made by your favorite businesses.
- Re-post a business' social posts, or make your own (make sure you tag the business!).
- Be patient when hanging out at local businesses, many are experiencing staffing and product shortages.
- Make a list of the things that you can buy locally instead of at big box stores. For example, you can buy products like refillable soap at the South End Market instead of at Target!
- Volunteer your time at places that could use extra help, such as the South End Farmer's Market.